Monday, March 7, 2011

Velo Allegro/CBR Criterium (3/6/11)

It used to be that CBR held roughly half of their Sunday crits on this course, the dead-flat Hughes Park one.  It is natural to think of it as "easy" since there's zero elevation gain, but the speeds are pretty insane. The 55/60+ event was well attended, I'd estimate about the same sixty or so as the first race. Not much to say, I attempted one attack, somewhat later this time. It falls into a pattern. A three-man formed with riders from Swami's, Santa Clarita and Velo Allegro. Since all these teams had solid representation in the pack I couldn't let it go and jumped the gap quick enough that I brought nobody with me. When I got there the news was bad, the Swami's guy was a strong TT rider, but I think he was mainly just pushing the pace for his team so no other break could form. The VA rider is a ruthless sprinter who is notorious for ducking pulls in a break (you know who you are!) and the Santa Clarita rider wasn't Fred Hoblit so his teammates would most likely be defending third or fourth, which may not cut it.

Sure enough, after two laps Fred jumped the gap without bringing anyone up. Unfortunately, he's got kind of a target on his back and the pack wasn't going to let that stand. We got reeled in. It's too bad, I had high hopes for forming breakaways in some sort of coalition with other teams, but Swami's isn't gonna play and they seem to have come prepped to kill breaks if need be. The pace stayed very crisp with a few let-ups. I don't know, does 25.7MPH seem fast. given riders over 55 and four corners every .8 miles? It wasn't a killer, but it's faster than I expected when I moved up. Anyway, I found a path to the front after turn three on the last lap. I was close to the front going into turn four but had to maneuver around some guy I didn't recognize who was doing well up to that point and somehow decided it wasn't worth it. I finished seventh, which is good enough to hold seventh overall (I think, standings not yet posted) and maybe move up to sixth.

I then rode the 50+ and then 40+ 1-3. All that needs to be said is that the average speeds were 27.1 and 27.5 respectively. Couldn't even break the top 20 (out of maybe 65) in the 50s and was only just holding on for the workout in the 40s. I generally get better as the season goes on so I'm still hopeful for top five overall in the 55+ division, but that's not guaranteed by any means. At least I have a goal.

No comments: