Sunday, June 3, 2007

Rio Hondo Detour

I hadn't been down to Seal Beach in a while, so with a nice SoCal June gloom condition on I set out. No GPS necessary, I'll just get on the Rio Hondo bike trail and head south to the San Gabriel River trail. The round trip is 78 miles with 60 of those on class one bike trails. Goes very fast. I get past the 10 freeway and find that there's a detour at Lashbrook, and a sign saying it's closed to Rush street. I take Lashbrook down to Garvey and cross the river, thinking I'd pick up a north-south street down to Rush. Turns out, that Rush doesn't go through and only the entrance to the trail on the east side is usable. Of course there was only the detour sign indicating that you need to leave the trail, no other help.

So, here's how to do it (I think). Heading south on Lashbrook, go right on Garvey and then left on Lee which is the last street before crossing over the river. Then right on Rush and back onto the trail. If you,d rather use a major thoroughfare Rosemead south also works, and if you're aiming for the SG river trail you can just stay on it to Durfee.

No comments: