Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Adrenaline Junky

I admit it. Can't do without it. No matter how hard I try I can barely crack the old lactate threshold riding alone. In a pack I can rev way past that on a moment's notice. The Tuesday night crits are now the mainstay of my training, I can spend 40 minutes above lactate and feel fine. Better than fine, now I'm good for days as long as I remember to ice the knees after. Here's the deal, if you're waiting to get in better shape before you start racing, don't. Just race, you'll get in shape. If you're DFL, so what? Everyone (almost) gets an ass-handing the first time, everyone improves.

For the record, the fork is in. It turns out that the extra clearance on the brake boss is intentional. It's there to push the brake pads forward so you can remove the wheel. The result is that the pin on the caliper barely reaches into the receiving hole. It just looks wrong, and every mechanic I showed it to agrees. I'm either going to get a machinist to make a shim, or switch to V-brakes, which don't rely on the pin.

No comments: