Monday, July 23, 2007

FrankenBike held Hostage, Day 22

Ain't it fun dealing with discount bicycle outlets? On July second I recounted my experience with ordering a cyclocross frame and fork from Performance. So here's the sequence:

  • After hours of work I figure out that the fork is defective*.
  • (7/2) Return fork to Performance shop where I picked it up after a "red phone" order .
  • (7/7) Call back to check on things, response: "we're working on it".
  • (7/12) I drop in to ask, they need to know what size frame. Why? The frame and fork are a set and Performance will only send both in replacement. So I tell the nice lady with the ring in her nose the frame size (one wonders why they couldn't look up the order).
  • (7/15) The Performance shop calls me to ask what the frame size was. I KID YOU NOT! Added to that, it appears we'll need to return the original frame.
  • (7/16) I call back intending to tell them they'll be dismantling the frame and giving me a refund. Before I can do that the guy on the other end tells me they won't need the old frame back and apologizes for any misunderstanding.
  • (7/23) I drop in after my ride, still nothing.

Sometimes I don't blog for a while for lack of anything to say. Now I've got something to say daily until I get my fork. Looks like this could continue for a while, perhaps throughout the cyclocross season. That would be bad luck, because last I looked I wasn't getting any younger. I'd like to hear from others out there who have similar experiences with performancebike.com to recount. Let me know.

*NOT ACTUALLY DEFECTIVE, JUST POOR DESIGN, SEE NEWER POSTS

No comments: