Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Halfway There

I hadn't mentioned it, but one reason I haven't blogged lately is that my wife is riding the Pac Tour Northern Transcon. Think of it as the Pony Express for bicycles. She tells me that riding 100+ miles every day for a few weeks really changes your metabolic engine. She can now move along at a crisp pace without pushing her heartrate up much at all. Gives you a nice base to stand on.

You can watch their progress here. Anyway, now I'm cooking for a seventeen year old eating machine and trying to care for a pair of oddball cats and remember to water the flowers. While on the road the tour organizers ran out of Hammer Perpetuum which I find about as appetizing as soylent green, but my wife can pretty much live on it. None of the local shops had single servings, so I bought a can and sealed water-bottle sized (2.4 oz, for those who need to know) servings in plastic sealed with small strips of duct tape. Then a quick trip to the UPS Store.

If you've never done it, go to Fedex or UPS and overnight a dozen bags of white powder. You get interesting looks. Not wanting the feds opening this on the way I explained my situation to the guy behind the counter and showed him the transcon itinerary telling him all about my wife's great adventure. He only asked one question: "Why?" Some people just don't get it. For me it's enough that she wants to do it. Since I've looked into my own soul and found a crit monkey I don't empathize completely, but just think that sometimes we have to do difficult things because (to paraphrase JFK) they are difficult.

I'm just looking forward to next week.

No comments: