Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 23, Performancebike Holding Out

I guess once they've got your money there's no sense of responsibility toward the customer. If they want to be the Walmart of bike shops it's okay by me.

The Eldorado Tuesday night 40+ race had a weird vibe. In the last two I've shown for the Elite (I,II, &III) pack passed us with less than ten minutes to go. Now people are not supposed to improve their positions when the pack is neutralized and passed by other competitors, but somehow my position seems to get worse while I just follow the guy in front of me. In addition, riders who might have been blown out get a rest and figure that somehow they've magically become more fit as they find themselves still in it at the end. Unfortunately, many mis-measure the final sprint and sit up with about 200m to go. While I'm trying to find room, nitwits are flying back toward me at a high relative rate and I have to try to dodge them.

If that wasn't enough, some dude who must weigh in at 220+ found that he could make space for himself by riding up next to people and poking his elbows outward. I saw him do this between two riders and was sure a crash would ensue, but luckily did not. At one point he did this to me, but was lagging a little and I just felt some extra weight on my hip. Look, I can see this kind of thing if there's $1000 bucks witing for the winner at the line, but it ain't.

No comments: